Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Freedom

Yesterday I got 2 field trips. Ya, that's right. I haven't been outside of my hospital room for 6 days and I got out twice yesterday. I went to an ultrasound in the morning (all the way downstairs) then Bryan and I toured the NICU last night. It's amazing how I forgot how it feels to have a breeze going through my hair (Bryan was driving the wheelchair really fast - or at least it felt like it). I heard noises, I saw real people. in the real world. Weird. Life is happening without me. Oh well.

If anyone has ever been in a NICU, you had a humbling experience, I am sure. We got treated to a tour by one of the head Doctors (thanks to my Dr). Wow. I am amazed what the medical world can do. Wow. As we went around, I pictured myself on many of the hard wooded rocking chairs there rocking tiny babies connected to all kinds of monitors. And I felt comfort. Not comfort that we would be there soon, but comfort that whatever happens will be ok. Not the perfect situation, but we will be ok.

In the elevator I talked to a mom whose baby has been there for 3 months. The mom was beautiful, confident, and happy. And I am glad that I got to see that, because I needed to.

Next need: fresh air. Will you take a big deep breath of fresh air next time you go outside for me? It's been a while (12 days to be exact) since I have been able to do that, I appreciate it. Oh, the little things that we take for granted.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I just went outside and took a breathe of fresh air for you. It was freezing, but i sat there for a minute and thought of you breathing lots of breaths. Glad that you went on the tours and got to escape for a minute and help bring peace and comfort to your heart. All will be well. We love you guys!

Kates said...

Karen, that NICU is amazing! I am glad you got to tour it. Did you happen to meet Dr. Waterkotte? If you do meet him you will love him. He is one of the head doctors in that NICU and the doctor that took care of little Lowee while she was there. He was the one that told us she had CMV and the one who helped us get her home so quickly, I have a lump in my throat just talking about him. He is a precious white haired man. I hope you get to meet him. All the doctors there are so amazing though. I am glad your little ones will be in their care. We are thinking about you and praying for you!

Merrilee said...

I am going to bust you out of there for 30 minutes and race you through the parking lot. You know how fast I move...I'm sure my speed will be approved!

camirobson said...

I'm so glad you got a wheelchair privledge.:) I'm sure it felt great. I kinda got a lump in my throat when you wrote about your babies in the NICU. Not because I'm worried about them, but because I'm so happy if they do come early that they will be well taken care of. I'm still praying that they stay in your tummy though.:)

Anonymous said...

I remember a few years back when I was in the hospital getting chemo and those hair blowing wheel-chair rides are like a huge banana split! SO good!

I bet you will never look at going to the grocery store or getting to store or trips to Target the same way once you're free!

Sending so many good thoughts your way! One foot in-front of the other until you get where ever you're meant to go. <3

Rylee said...

you are so optimistic! i am loving all the time you have to blog now, i love to read your posts. :)