Saturday, January 31, 2009

Venting

Can I vent? I thought I had seen it all. I have been a jogger for years. I have had my fair share of people looking, honking, screaming, etc as I am minding my own business trying to get in some cardio. What is it about a jogger that makes people have the sudden urge to do these things? In fact, my PR in Provo was 4 honks and 3 whistles/yells in one run (not bad, huh?). I even got a phone number thrown at me once. Don’t worry I never called the guy. Today I got a new one to add to the list. I was jogging this morning (Saturday) in a nice little neighborhood. Apparently there was an unbelievable garage sale close by. Apparently no one could find it and apparently everyone thought I new where it was. So through an entire mile stretch of my run I kept getting stopped and asked if I knew where the sale was. Do I look like I am out looking for deals at garage sales? Just for the record, runners do not like it when drivers

1. pull up beside them, roll down their window, and flail their arms

2. pull right in front of them so if they keep running they will run into the car

3. creep up behind them and honk their horn to get the runner’s attention

I experienced all of these and had to stop, unplug my headphones, go up to the car and explain that I didn’t know the location of the sale. I was so bugged. I have vowed to run canals (not streets) every Saturday for the rest of my life! There aren’t any garage sales on canals right?


P.S. I am trying not to be sad that I am no longer receiving whistles but instead being asked about garage sales. Is this a sign of aging??

13 comments:

Merrilee said...

Don't worry babe, you still got it, just not on Saturday mornings! The last reaction I got while running was when I was 48 and startled a dog at 5:00am. She ran into my leg, tripped me and we both barked at each other. Maybe for your birthday I could give you a "I don't know where the yard sale is" T-shirt. Mom

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Haha! Oh man that really does stink. I bet you were so sick of it by the time it was over. And I'm sure you weren't getting whistles because people who go yard selling aren't really the whistling type. They're usually female and older...except me.

Karen Martin said...

Ashlee, your comment made me laugh so hard. Just think of the advantage you have over those "older" ladies! You go girl!

Kates said...

I am laughing so hard. Maybe to get revenge you go out on Saturday start moving the garage sale signs so people are really confused.

Lacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey said...

If I were you, I would have quit running, so I could find this garage sale myself. But that's me.
If it makes you feel better, I haven't received honks, whistles, and other flattering running perks since my freshman year when I would run on ninth. We would get honked at even if we were just walking.

Lacey said...

Now I feel all self-conscious because everyone gave me a hard time about the whole blopspot thing. Even editors misspell words or forget to read over what they wrote to make sure it is all correct. Okay!!

{Steve and Amanda} said...

Hi Karen! Apparently they all thought you were running to the sale. That would be very frustrating.

Rebecca said...

I have the solution, Karen. Hear me out. Jog only once a week on Wednesdays like I do (I don't know why Wednesdays - I just seem to have the most energy and feel the most out of shape on Wednesdays) and you never get asked about garage sales. Of course, you don't stay in shape either, but sometimes you have to pay a price not to be hassled. And I didn't realize there were so many perks of running in Provo. Maybe I would have done it more often had I known. :) All I get now are the occasional head out of the window jeers.

Mamma Martin said...

I promise to never stop and ask a jogger where the yard sale is--I AM one of those female, older types you know. I think the t-shirt is a great idea!!

Chantz H. Davis said...

I would just like to say that if you went to school at UofA that everyone down there probably already knows where the yard sales are!:)

Markee said...

That is hilarious! I now vow to never ask a jogger where a yard sale is, no matter how tempting it might be!

Bright Beginnings said...

I know that I would be one of the ones looking for the yard sale, but I would've stopped and tried to have you come with me. If I was a stranger, I would've honked and whistled at you. You are so good for still keeping up with your running:)