Sunday, September 13, 2009

So brave

Hi. My name is Karen and I am afraid of big chunks of meat. Hmmm. Let me explain. Big hunks of meat scare me. Don’t get me wrong, I love eating meat and often even crave a nice chunk of beef along with some potatoes and gravy on my dinner plate. In fact I have the best childhood memories of coming home from church to have the entire house smelling of pot roast that has been cooking since early that morning. We could even smell it as we walked up the walkway! Yum. Honestly, a Sunday without roast is a bummer. Problem: I am scared to buy, refrigerate, cook, and serve big hunks of meat. How do I know how to cook it? How long is it supposed to cook? How do I know when it is done? What if it is too dry? Not cooked all the way through? What if I give someone (or me) worms? Food poisoning? What if I totally ruin it? That’s an expensive oops! AHHH! My poor dear mother has been so patient. She has shown me, walked me through it, discussed with me over the phone, and encouraged me many times. Finally, the other day I found myself walking passed the meat at the store. I had a bout of courage and picked up a roast and threw it in the cart. There it sat taunting me in the fridge until this morning when I put it in the crock pot, said a little prayer, and headed off to church. I am happy to report that when we came home there was a hint of roast smell in the air. Later we successfully ate the roast. It actually was good. Bryan sensing my insecurity was overly complimentary.

So there it is. The Martins have officially branched out and are no longer only chicken and hamburger meat people. I am exhausted; its been an emotional day.

7 comments:

Merrilee said...

That's my girl!!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Haha. My favorite part is that this whole meat thing wore you out!! Go have a nap! lol I'm glad it turned out good. I think it's sweet that Bryan was overly complimentary. Nice boys are the best.

Mamma Martin said...

That is exactly how I felt when my Mom died in October and then Thanksgiving rolled around and I had never cooked a turkey! What was she thinking leaving us just before the holidays???? I felt very domestic and successful when the turkey turned out just fine. Were you too exhausted to fix potatoes and gravy? That's the hard part!! You are the best!!!

Chantz H. Davis said...

You should write a column for a newspaper! Every woman in the world can relate to what you just posted! I am still a little intimidated of sunday dinner: hence, tacos is a no brainer. Can't ruin tacos!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Unfortunately, I have ruined tacos.

Kates said...

Ashlee you are so cute. I don't believe you ever ruined tacos! And I agree with my mom you should write for a paper! Maybe you should have us all over next time...YUmmy!

Chelsee said...

you crack me up! I totally understand your delema. I married a MEAT and POTATO man...Scary!