Monday, October 19, 2009

So maybe I missed 'em a little

Today was back to school after a week off. I will admit that maybe I missed my students a little (emphasis on the little). They are just so unpredictable which makes life interesting. I try not to cloud the internet with ‘teaching stories’ but this one is classic. It happened today.

We were working on a lab so I was walking around as students were talking and working. As I walked by a lab table I heard, “Mrs Martin....” she saw that I was listening and finished her sentence very quietly so I wouldn’t hear. Her partner said, “What?” and I walked away pretending that I didn’t hear.

Mrs. Martin is a …” again she said it so quietly that I couldn’t hear her. I decided to approach her and ask what she was saying (she is a very nice girl and even if she was calling me a name odds are that I have been called that before :). “Oh,” she said, “I was just saying that you are a Mormon. Right?

Yes, that’s right. How did you know?

Oh I just can tell. It’s pretty obvious.” Now almost every one is listening and all chaos breaks out.

A different student, “Your ministers on the bikes knocked on my door at 6 in the morning over the break. That is not cool

Six? Are you sure? And they are missionaries not ministers

Yeah, well, it felt like 6 to me

I really doubt that it was 6. You mean it was like 10 and you were still sleeping so it felt like 6?

Yeah but they were cool so it’s all chill

(I didn’t know that people still said ‘chill’)

Meanwhile someone in the back row is giving me some sort of odd hand signal (as if it means Mormon Pride or something) and yelling “You are LDS?! So am I!!” By the time I acknowledge him he had already busted out his Book of Mormon from his bag and was having his lab partner read some scripture from Moroni out loud.

Another student is asking what the difference between the Book of Mormon and the Bible is. I let the Mormon kid take care of that one. He did a pretty good job.

The whole thing made me smile. Like I said everyday is so unpredictable. It almost makes me excited to go back tomorrow. :)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love your stories Mrs. Martin... they are fun to hear- and now in your class it is cool to be a Mormon! Sweet! Keep them coming!!!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Here I am, sitting in my jammies, slurping down a smoothie, supposedly doing homework, but rather waking myself up with your blog. It's way better than a morning newspaper. I just read it aloud to Coll and he said "Mrs. Martin...that's funny". Lol great story.

camirobson said...

Mormon pride. That's awesome. I am glad you missed your little brats, I am sure you do have some interesting stories.

Mamma Martin said...

First of all--I like the "Mrs. Martin". That means you are part of our family and I'm grateful for that. Second--how nice that your students can "just tell" that you are a Mormon--good job!!!

Lacey said...

I love when people are nice about what we believe. I had a missionary experience last week. I'll have to post it so you can read about it... or I could call you and tell you. haha!

Chantz H. Davis said...

Classic story! I loved it! Again, maybe you should write for the Mormon TImes. That story could so easily be in there!