Thursday, February 12, 2009

Becoming Our Parents

Here at the Martins we have been noticing that we are slowly but surely turning into our parents. Not that it’s a bad thing; I suppose that it is bound to happen sooner or later. We find humor in the moments when these parent realizations happen. Good thing we have great parents, otherwise this would be really bad.

Here are some recent events that have left me saying (out loud), “I am turning into my mother.”

- Girls camp. Yep, I sit here typing as the new ward camp director. My mom has gone to girls camp since I was -5 years old (yes, negative 5). I am going on year 2, only 29 more to go…just like mama.

- I can’t seem to remember my age. There have been many occasions when my mom had to think about how old she was. I never understood how someone could forget their own age. Well, the other day I had to do full on math to figure out that yes, indeed I am 26 years old.

- Hamburger bun garlic toast. What else are you supposed to do with the few buns left over from dinner a few nights ago? Sorry for making fun of you about that one mom, it’s genius.

Bryan is turning into his dad. Here are a few events that have left me saying to Bryan, “You are so turning into Bob.”

- He puts some sort of sauce on everything. Like miracle whip on grilled cheese and banana bread, Catalina on eggs, and bbq sauce on any meat known to man. I will not comment on my opinion of this.

- Some people think that he is Mexican but in fact he is not.

- He corrects grammar 24 hours a day. If there is anything misspelled or incorrectly punctuated in the world Bryan or his dad will find it, point it out and if possible fix it (even if it involves a permanent marker and a public sign).

- He seems to always be in high demand for electrical work and can put a switch or plug anywhere.

I think it must be in the master plan that we, at least a little, become like our parents. Hopefully we take the good and not the rest but it doesn’t always happen like that (miracle whip being a prime example). All I can say is thank goodness for good genes.

8 comments:

Merrilee said...

This entry could have easily gone bad for this mother. Thanks for keeping it positive! However,Karen is not telling you the traits she is refuses to carry on. Thank heavens for that too! Mom

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Hahaha! I'm cracking up. Sometimes the truth is just plain ol' funny. Yay for girls camp!!!

Kates said...

reaDing About bryan be coming unkle bob is so funny, i bet if i new you're mom your story's would be even funny-er. IS this driving bryan and unckle bob crazeee?

Mamma Martin said...

Ah--it is only going to get worse!! Funny stuff!!

Karen Martin said...

This is Bryan. For a couple of Mexicans, we sure know English pretty well, wouldn't you say?

Chantz H. Davis said...

hahahaha! I was going to do the same thing Katie did... to badly she beet me to it! Oh well. Very funny Karen!

Lacey said...

I bet I'd win in a grammar and usage battle of wits!!
But I have discovered that people are going to botch up the English language anyway, so I only make a big deal about mistakes when they are in print like newspapers, books, or magazines. Those mistakes and idiocy are documented for generations.

Tina said...

As long as he doesn't stoop to Miracle Whip and Peanut Butter sandwiches you're okay. If he does, I'd start to worry! One year when we had Uncle Bob and Aunt Tonna's name for Christmas, we gave him a gallon of each!!!