Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Day the President Visited School

Whew. We are still alive at Dobson High School. During his visit to Arizona today Obama came and gave his speech in our gym. It has been CRAZY. We found out on Friday night that our school was selected. People spent the night on Sunday waiting in line for tickets to see it (not me, I was in my nice warm bed). We all showed up to school on Tuesday with the media, secret service and grounds crew everywhere. The media didn't stop until Wed. after school. The secret service guys really do wear dark suits and have ear pieces in. Sadly, I don't think they like to be photographed much either so I didn't take any pictures of them. We had to leave every door, closet, and drawer unlocked last night so they could come through with their dogs. They put in a new toilet for the pres and even painted a bathroom in case he wanted to use it (heaven forbid he use one of ours and I'm not even sure we get to keep it). The grounds crew was very busy. They turned a campus full of dirt into beautifully landscaped grass in one day. It would have taken at least all summer to get that done. Every grounds crew member in the district was at our campus. I am not sure where they got the money to do this...schools are so hurting for money that they can't pay for us to get substitute teachers but we can sure get grass (I am a little tiffed about this one if you can't tell).



Our pretty Obama grass. I wouldn't be surprised if they roll it back
up tomorrow and return it to get money back!


I have never seen so much security in my life. Police, district security, school security, secret service, SWAT team, and every thing in between. I even had to show my teacher badge to get onto campus this morning. Protesters lined the fence and police tried to keep them under control. The entire east side of the school was completely off limits and was extremely guarded.


The crowd starting to form in the morning. Behind the
tree is a group of secret service guys.

I did not get to see the president. I saw his motorcade pull into the school by pure accident- I was walking across campus going to teach my anatomy class. That was as close as I ever got. We all watched through a closed circuit feed to our rooms. It was a fun day. Sure I didn't vote for him, sure I don't agree with a lot of his ideas but he is the president and it was fun to feel that tangible excitement in the air.


Obama in the gym. Our gym. How cool.

2 comments:

Kates said...

I totally forgot you taught there! What a crazy day. The grass irrates me too and I don't have anything to do with the school system. And the toilet?? Hello! I love reading your blog.

Chantz H. Davis said...

I wonder what would have happened to Obama if he had had to use a 'regular' toilet. Would he freeze up and not be able to urinate or 'whatever'. And the grass.... let's see... we can't pay our bills or our teachers a decent wage but hey lets spring for some new turf. CRAZY! But glad you got to witness part of it. Sounds a little like when 'W' flew into Eagar! Your blog is the best and way to go on not going to the store. I wonder how we would do. Lots of oatmeal and macroni for us probably!