Monday, May 25, 2009

On this Memorial Day

On this Memorial Day I reflect. Maybe it’s the fact that I am all alone today (Bryan is camping for a week) or maybe it’s just the fact that I am getting older and sappier. I think the military means something different to me than it does to others. I am in complete awe of it; I love its strictness and exactness; I love its power and security. When I was very young my dad joined the Air Force. Since then we have moved all over the country, mostly to bases out in the middle of nowhere because my dad was a missile launch officer and had to be near the missiles.


A little stroll down memory lane.

I would often lay on my parents bed while my dad would be getting ready for a fancy ceremony. He would carefully take pins out of a baggie, place one on his uniform, then turn to me and say, “Is it on straight?” I took pride in knowing that I was his quality control in a situation where it was expected that his uniform would look perfect.


I would hate going anywhere with my dad when he was in uniform. Everyone was always saluting and saying ‘sir’ and whenever he walked into a room someone yelled something (never could figure out what they said) and everyone would stand up. It scared me every time even though my dad would warn me in advance. Who knew that I would ever miss this?


The base would run exercises that we were totally used to. I remember one day walking to the BX and seeing a few men in uniform laying (playing dead) out in the middle of a field. My friends and I said, “huh, they must be in the middle of an exercise” and just kept walking.


I feel sad that I am no longer really involved with the Air Force. My military card has been expired for a few years now. I will not be shopping at the Commissary for food or the BX for stuff. I no longer get to stand for the National Anthem before a movie starts at the theater. I miss explaining to the base guards why I am coming home at 2AM. The threat that if I mess up my dad’s boss will be called and he will get in trouble at work is no longer there. I do not get to go to all the amazing air shows.


Now whenever I see a person in uniform my eyes get a bit teary. Memories fly and I instantly feel a connection and want to know their story. I want to thank them and shake their hand. Now when I hear ignorant criticism on the military I turn off the TV or leave the room. Now if I were to go to an air show I would be a wreck (just like my mom). How can you not be with this amazing powerful machine flying so close to you?


On this day and everyday I am grateful for those who serve and have served this country. Where ever you are thank you. May God bless you and your family.

10 comments:

Mamma Martin said...

Absolutely beautiful, Mrs. Science Teacher!! You are amazing! Maybe you can teach your science students to write like you do and they wouldn't have to take English!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Oddly enough, I came to your blog via a Google Alert - one for MY name! I'm a Karen Martin too!

Your blog is lovely; you write well. Just wanted to pop in and say hello to someone with whom I share a name!

Cheers,

Karen Martin :)

Chantz H. Davis said...

Well said Karen. I didn't have a dad in the military and I tear up when I hear the national anthen or see an old man with a 'veteran' cap on. I would have LOVED to stand for the NA before a movie! How cool is that!?!!!!!?!?!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Lovely.

Tina said...

Awesome! Nothing like the military. I attended a graveside this week at a veteran cemetary. Teared right up, I did. I love the reverence they show for sacred things. We could learn alot from that. Karen Martin----I know one in Missouri. Could it be the same one???

Rylee said...

We went to the Air Show here in Vegas at Nellis AFB and I LOVED it. It was a true highlight for me. I was teary and had a lump in my throat the whole time!

Lacey said...

I think you remember more of the little things while we were in the Air Force, Karen. I don't remember people playing dead.
I remember the first time I went to a movie theatre outside the base. I got mad at people for not standing for the national anthem! I do miss a lot of it. Tracy thought about joining the Air Force. His dad was in the Air Force too. Did you know that? We both loved, so we seriously thought about it. But I think we're supposed to do other things.
But I, too, love the military and am proud that my father and father-in-law served our country.

Merrilee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Merrilee said...

My favorite memory was every day at 7:30am and 4:30pm when the entire base came to a screeching hault. Cars stopped in the middle of the streets, joggers froze on the sidewalks, children stopped playing in the park, stollers paused and all faces turned in respect toward the flag pole (which was never in sight for most of us and blocks away). We listened to the music and stood at attention in respect for our flag as it was raised or lowered. This was, and is the most amazing display of respect. I am forever grateful that my children had the opportunity to experience living on an Air Force Base where patriotism was a daily way of life.

Kates said...

What a way to grow up! That is awesome. Markee needs to read this post to get an idea of what she is going to start living!