Sunday, November 8, 2009

Green(ish) Thumb

Yesterday I decided that I had ignored my yard long enough. I have been wanting to get out and do some work for weeks now but never seem to have a full day of nothingness to spend out in the yard. Yesterday morning I sent Bryan on his way to do some electrical and I put on the garden gloves. I opened the front door only to see 3 landscaping business cards fall to the ground. Huh, is my yard really that bad? Nah, they give those to everyone.

The landscapers that originally did the yard were bush happy. That's fun when they are little cute bushes but baby bushes grow up to be big bushes and things tend to get a little crowded. So I am getting rid of some of 'em. I easily removed 2. They were easy to get out and I admit I was pretty impressed with my 'rip the bush out' skills. Then came time to get rid of this monstrosity.


I hate the desert one. It is ugly, pokey, and catches every feather, fuzzy, and piece of trash in the neighborhood. I nievely took on the task of trimming off 5,872 double edged spears. I found all kinds of stuff in there: candy wrappers, mailers, and yes, 2 landscaping advertisements. It was a lot of work. I had it down to the trunk and got stuck. Bryan had to help me get the roots up when he got home. We proudly stood by our trash for a while and waived to neighbors.


We just hope that this bush can recover now that there is a little more room on the side of our house.


As I was pulling some weeds in the back I noticed something odd in the garden (ok, fine, the big sectioned off space full of dirt that is supposed to be our garden when we get with it and actually plant something)


Gross, what is that? Some funky type of mushroom? I don't want to touch it! It was stuck in the ground big time! After unearthing it I discovered that it was this:


It was in the back yard when we bought the house (a major selling point :) and we had forgotten that my little nephew buried it months ago when he was over at our house. He has been placed back in his rightful spot. Guarding the backyard.

So maybe my thumb is a little green but mostly my arms are cut from the huge bush and my hamstrings are sore from leaning over. Yard work is not for wimps.

4 comments:

Mamma Martin said...

Bob is sleeping--I have my hand clamped over my mouth so my laughing doesn't wake him up!! The little figurine buried in the back yard was hilarious.!! I bet the yard looks great!!

Chantz H. Davis said...

It is in the wee morning hours of Monday the 9th. I too, laughing out loud hoping I don't wake my house of little granddaughters. The garden gnome put me right over the edge!

camirobson said...

That is funny you found that little dude. Why are you so good at updating your blog? I stink at it! Your house is full of bushes, I am happy that the other poor bush has room to breathe now. Good job!

Merrilee said...

I can't believe you hadn't missed Patrick O'Hara before now! How has your garden possibly survived without his overseeing eye? I think it's a bit weird that you took a photo of him in the dirt before you even knew it was him. Do you take photos of every weird shaped thing just in case?