Friday, November 13, 2009

I thought I'd been swined.

I got sick this week. Real sick. I, along with the rest of earth’s population (thanks to the media), immediately figured that it was the swine flu. Ahem, excuse me “H1N1” (oh brother). As I laid in bed for 2 days straight with a fever and nausea I thought of how this could have been avoided. Me? I can’t get the swine flu! I should have washed my hands every half an hour instead of every hour (seriously I am OCD about this). I knew that I should have faked that I was pregnant so that I could have gotten the vaccine (apparently teachers who have over 150 teenagers in and out of their room everyday aren’t high risk enough to get the first batch of the vaccine (yeah, oh brother again). I thought of everything I could as I flipped my covers on and off trying to get some sort of temperature regulation. I went back to work today. I had many students tell me, “You're back. We thought you died!” I just smiled. “Nope, not dead.” They asked, “Did you have the swine flu?” Again I smiled. “Maybe. Or maybe it was a stomach bug or food poisoning. Honestly it doesn’t really matter”


At lunch I snuck over and talked to the school nurse. She said there is a stomach bug going around that sounds exactly like what I had. Bummer. I was hoping that was my go around with the swine flu and now I would be immune. So I guess I will keep being paranoid with the rest of the world about getting the swine flu. When does the second batch of vaccines come out again?!

5 comments:

Merrilee said...

Aren't teens tactful? I, for one, am glad you are not dead. Keep using that "hanatizer", as my five year olds call it.

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

Bryan kinda made it sound like you were dying too! We were real worried! But I'm so glad you're better. Being home alone stinks, but I'm with ya on the being able to get a lot done thing. Sometimes when Collin's home and I need to get a lot done I just ignore him! :) JK But really, glad you're feeling better.

Mamma Martin said...

Sorry you have been sick. Bryan didn't say a word. Surprise!! Glad you are better. Hope we see you this weekend.

Mamma Martin said...

Nothing like a good Saturday night 7:00 football game to help one get over the stomach bug.
Father Bob

camirobson said...

I am glad you didn't get swine, although it would've been nice if you did and it lasted two days. I am still crossing my fingers I don't get it. Hand sanitizer is my best friend these days. If people didn't get so sick from it, they should have swine parties, you know like pox parties, just everyone get it over with! :) See you saturday!