Sunday, November 29, 2009

RLS - it's the worst


I have been suffering from RLS for years. It’s brutal. I even had myself diagnosed with restless leg syndrome years before the commercials came out on TV that educated everyone. Who new that the uncontrollable urge to move one's legs could almost send them into insanity!


My symptoms usually come at night so I very reluctantly go to movies or concerts at night because I know that it could very easily turn into a night of torture. Late night 3 and a half hour trips to Eagar are pretty much vetoed from now on. Once I had to practically bite someone’s head off because he told me it was “all mental” as I was pacing during a movie (don’t worry that was the last time I went on a date with him).


I guess I am so used to it that I don’t realize the things I do to make my legs feel better. The other night as we were trying to go to sleep Bryan said (very politely) “How about you hold your legs still and I will shake mine tonight so you can sleep.” Oh! That is so sweet. Thanks honey, I wish it could work like that.


I am about at the end of my patience. I have done lots of research and have tried everything other than prescription drugs. Magnesium supplements don’t help, iron doesn’t help, B complex doesn’t help (although it does turn your potty cool colors), and potassium supplements don't help. The only thing that helps is movement. Anyone have any advice? If not I am resorting to drugs. And lots of them.

6 comments:

Kates said...

Karen you fit right into our family. There are a few of us who suffer from this. Mine comes and goes but I know my mom has it all the time. She will probably tell you this herself but she told me that when she eats sugar it gets way worse. So I don't know if you eat a lot of candy...probably not because you are so healthy but if so try to see if there is any relation with it. And Bryan is so sweet to say that...I have been on the verge of tears in bed before at night because it is so bad! Tylenol helps me relax them.

Markee said...

Seriously I thought my mom would have commented on this by now! She has this really bad! This might sound weird but when I stay up late and am so tired I get it in my arms, it drives me nuts!!!!!! Eric makes fun of me, I get it in my legs too but it's really bad in my arms! Bryan cracks me up too!

Rylee said...

I have it too! We actually call it Nervous Legs in our family. Nothing irks me more than when people make fun of RLS like its made up or something!! We had a 7 hour drive to Eagar last night, got in at 10 and you can bet I was ready to get out and run the last 5 miles. Ibuprofin helps me tons! Back when Reece and I went to lots of movies I would stick two Ibuprofins in my pocket and take them as soon as I felt it creeping in. It works suprisingly well. I'm sorry you suffer from it too, I guess its just one more thing that makes you fit in with them fam, a lot of us know your pain!!

Rylee said...

I have it too! We actually call it Nervous Legs in our family. Nothing irks me more than when people make fun of RLS like its made up or something!! We had a 7 hour drive to Eagar last night, got in at 10 and you can bet I was ready to get out and run the last 5 miles. Ibuprofin helps me tons! Back when Reece and I went to lots of movies I would stick two Ibuprofins in my pocket and take them as soon as I felt it creeping in. It works suprisingly well. I'm sorry you suffer from it too, I guess its just one more thing that makes you fit in with them fam, a lot of us know your pain!!

Tina said...

I commented the other day, and it's not here! :( Yes, we have it too! But the funniest is Casie-----she has nervous ears. Yup! I laugh and laugh, but she's going crazy. So, I will add my 2 bits. We bought a Jiggler. Sounds dumb, but it works. If you want to know more, just let me know!!! U.Paul says sugar is a culprit for him as well. And yes, we call it nervous legs, but RLS sounds cooler!!!

camirobson said...

I'm sorry, dang RLS!! That was cute what Bryan said. I have it being pregnant but I don't have any suggestions on what to take because I can't take anything. I hope you won't have it 10 times worse when you're prego, that would not be fun. I'll ask my sister in law what she does. She has it too.